So, Agirl's been talking a lot about babies...............where they come from...............
who her brother's birthmother is...........who her birthmother is.............
HOW do the babies come out.................
All things that I expect and I am prepared for at 3..........well, weeks from being 4.........years old.
I remember having the same conversations with Jman.
To document here, just so I won't forget:
*The other night at bedtime:
Agirl: "I grew in W's tummy, right?"
me: "Yes, that is right."
her: "Well, how did I get out?"
me: "God made a special way for babies to come out of their mommies and when you are a little older, I'll tell you how."
her: "When I am 4?"
me: "Well, your brother was 8 before he knew how babies come out."
her: "Well..............long pause...............I think I can know at 4 because I am a girl!"
Good point!
*Riding home in the car the other afternoon:
Agirl: "I grew in W's tummy and then I came out and you were my mommy and God made a special way for me to come out because he is God and he is good and very nice and he knows just how the baby needs to come out and when I am 4 I think that you are going to tell me just how God made the special way."
I know. I'm so proud! My daughter spoke the longest run-on sentence in history!!! And, she barely had to draw an extra breath!!
*This morning, riding in the car: (where lots of deep thought obviously occurs)
Agirl: "Who is Hannah and David's birthmom?" (Friends of ours)
me: "Well, not all kids were adopted like you and brother were. Many children stay with the mommy whose tummy they grew in. They grew in their mommy J's tummy."
Agirl: "So, their mommy is their birthmom?"
me: "Yes, that's right but, we don't call her that."
Agirl: "I know silly! We just call her Ms. J!"
me: (Thinking long and hard if I should further try to explain this...............I chose not to because by the time my brain quit trying to think and my mouth tried to talk, she was talking about how "the Fruity Cheerios she was eating taste just like Fruit Loops, only not so much like Fruit Loops because they are bigger than these and they really do taste a little bit different but not very much and I think that I like Fruit Loops better.............................."!!!!)
That's my girl! Can't imagine where she learned to talk!! :o)
Yesterday, Jman comes home with a homework paper for Science class.
It's called........."Genes Run In Families". Yep.
They are studying genetics. (In 3rd grade?!)
Now, for adoptive families who have lots of open contact with the birth families, this would not be an issue.
"For each trait on the paper, try to find a relative who shares this trait."
(And we're not just talking about hair color, eye color, shape of nose, etc. These things we know. We know his birth parents, have pictures. No, weird little things like wiggling your little toe, touching your tongue to your nose, and seperating your fingers web-like. Apparently 'traits' that not everyone has!!)
Not so easy for us. So, what is he to do?
We'll talk more about that when he gets home from school today and has to work on it. There are many traits on the paper that he shares with those of us in his family.
Altho, that is obviously not due to genetics.
This is not the first, nor will it be the last, time that school assignments will point out that he is 'different'.
That he was adopted.
That he may not have all the answers.
Saddens me a little bit. I pray that it does not sadden him.
**Update: Like most everything else, my son has taken this in stride. He said, "Oh well. I think you should just write a note to the teacher saying that I don't know what traits I share with my birth parents since I am not around them and that I want to pick what you and Dad have like me."
So there, obviously not upset about it!
Blessings!










12 thoughts shared:
laughing with little A's conversation.....so much like L. I love their sweetness....maybe by the time she turns 4, she'll forget that she needs to know how babies come out!
J's assignment...yep, those are the tougher ones...let me know how it turns out!
Agirl is so stinkin cute! I agree with her, fruit loops are better than those fruity cherios!
I'm very interested to know how Jman's genetics assignment turns out. It seems like there is no realy way to complete the assignment and have him get what the assignemnt is supposed to teach him (about genetics).Let us know what comes of it!
And like I said this morning- Tell Agirl to keep praying for Hannah and DD'd birthmom ;)
Sounds like you have very wise, perceptive and amazing kids. It also sounds like you're doing a great job celebrating their birth story. I can only hope I will take those kinds of questions in stride like you have!
Agirl totally made me laugh! What smart little chatterbox you have there.
Jman sounds like he has the perfect take on it...and he has the most amazing parents in the world - you are blessed!
I found you through CWO & have loved reading through your blog!
My (now five year old) daughter had questions about babies when she was 4. But I was pregnant with my 3rd daughter so I think that's what brought it on. A friend recommended "The Story of Me." It is very age appropriate and I was quite pleased with how they explained "things." Just a thought...but I'm confident you will find what works for your family :)
I'm a first timer reading your blog. Very lovely.
I just love your little girl! The stuff she says just makes me laugh.
And what your son is going through right now with his assignment makes me sad, but.... your son's thought on the situation is so perfect!
So can you wiggle that little pinky toe without moving all your other toes?? Can anybody really do that!?!
Bless both of their hearts!! First of all, Agirl sounds like my kind of girl!! What an inquisitive child---she has to be a joy to be around. I'd like to say maybe she'll forget but my 4yr old remembers EVERYTHING so I don't know. Jman's assignment sounds tough but I love how well he handled it. I know people who were adopted that were much older before they were able to think about it with such maturity. Both of your kids are amazing!!
I would just roll with the flow....seems like Jman has the answer to how to handle it. Aren't they soooo smart?? I am wondering what kind of project Ike will have to do. Luckily he practically has a twin out there in a birth brother, I guess I could beg his help or let Ike be creative with his answers. Did you know that Cass can roll her tongue (we call it taco tongue), so can Tjack and Daddy but me and Eman can not. It is genetic. Either you can not or you can.
CeCe
So glad JMan was so calm about not knowing the answers for his project. Very good kid.
I've heard that all the tough questions come while driving. But I'm amazed at how early they start.
Post a Comment