Friday, February 27, 2009

My "baby"?!!! Could it be time for "the test" already?!!



This is my "baby"! My 9 yr. old baby! I tell him he'll always be my baby....he is my first! He tells me even when he is 14, 15, 16, and 17, he will still hug me and cuddle me and let me lie in bed and talk with him!! (We'll see?!!)

Sitting in his desk.........first day of 3rd grade last August.

Here we are.......late into February, nearly March.

In our state, they say, "You have to take this test, to show what you are learning. In 3rd grade, you must pass the Reading test in order to be promoted to the next grade."

Next Tuesday, my 'baby' will take that test. I am not worried or anxious. He has made A's on all the practices and baselines. He will blow it away! I am concerned that he would be anxious and worried. What 9 yr. old needs that worry or that pressure?!! I hated this when I taught 3rd grade! They're still just babies!

My little man of faith prays every day and I know he's been praying about this.

We're praying for you too and we're proud of you! We know that you are going to do wonderfully!!!

Love you so much Jman!!

11 thoughts shared:

MommaJen said...

Oh yes, not looking forward to that test!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday J-Man. Hope you have a wonderful day. Make sure your mommy makes you a great cake to celebrate!! Have a super day!

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

Tell him all the mommy bloggers will be praying for him :) He's so sweet to say he will still be snuggling with you. My oldest is almost done with 5th grade and he still does and I don't see any end in sight!! (it must be because their mom's are so cool) :)

Becky said...

Amanda, you are sweet but, it's not his birthday! I'm just getting a little sad that we're faced with TAKS already...doesn't seem real!

Jackie said...

He's gonna do great! He is such a handsome little guy...and I know that it makes him feel good to know you are so proud of him.

Melba said...

Ugh, I hate the whole standardized achievement tests for kids too. 3rd graders are still technically at the end of early childhood and I can't stand that there is already so much emphasis placed on performance at that young age. I hope all goes well for him and he isn't too stressed!

Melba

Tessa said...

My son is facing a similar test in a couple of weeks. His school has tried to make it as fun as virtually possible, and they have been preparing all year. I have not met anyone yet who likes the test or who supports it. I am thankful that my son also does well in school, like Jman ... I can't imagine what it must be like for parents who know their children are going to struggle through it. My husband is a teacher and he watches kids cry while they are taking the test. I can't imagine!

Deb said...

Happy Birthday JMan. Last year in the single digits.

I was with a class of 10 year old the last week and when asked for prayer requests one of them mentioned these tests. Doesn't seem right that they should be worrying about this weeks in advance.
Hope he stays stress and worry free leading up to the test.

Anonymous said...

Tests stink but they are like a game. I tell kids (I draw an analogy to baseball..seems to work) there are curveballs, fastballs, bad calls and homeruns. It is all a game. Your teacher is your coach, your classmates are your team....You have to learn the strategies to win and practice. At the end of the day it is just a game and you go home. Tell Jman...it is just a game:) Batter up!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for Jman and his test on Tues.

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)