Friday, June 20, 2008

Brownies for breakfast....



Grandparent relationships are special things. For grandkids. And for grandparents. (I can just imagine how wonderful it must be.....to just enjoy children.....without all the worries and pressures that come with having to parent them!)

I miss my grandparents. All four have been gone for quite some time. I saw my paternal ones much more growing up as they lived closer. I remember spending time at Grandma's in the summers. No 'real' rules. Doing whatever I like. Watching "The Price is Right" and "The Carol Burnett Show" with her. Playing in the creek all day. Helping pick fresh food from the garden. Shucking corn and snapping beans. Just sitting. Outside. In old rusty sway back chairs, thinking at times "I'm bored" but how I would love to be sitting there quietly with her now! I remember my Grandpa's quiet sense of silly humor. He'd let my Grandma fuss on and on and then give me the silliest snicker and smile behind her back!

Jman just returned from spending time away with grandparents. He got to split his time between both sets as fortunately they all live in the same town.
He was less than thrilled when I showed up to bring him home! He did not want to go! He did not seem to miss me! I remember that too! Why would you want to go home when:

*Nana and DeeDee let you stay up as late as you want....or can!
*Poppy sits at the creek with you, with his BB gun, hunting to shoot rats and snakes!
*PawPaw takes you to the local zoo and lets you ride the train over and over and over if you want.
*Nana takes you to the zoo also, just the day before!
*Both Nana and PawPaw let you buy anything you want in the zoo shop!
*DeeDee takes you swimming, at least a couple of times a day, in the neighbor's private pool!
*Nana takes you swimming at the Country Club!
*PawPaw and Poppy watch ballgames with you all night!
*No one tells you that you have to take a bath, brush your teeth, or follow other certain rules!
*Nana takes you to Target for a new construction truck!
*DeeDee takes you to the Caterpillar showroom to sit in and play on the real construction trucks! Then to Target for new clothes!
*All 4 give you all the time, attention, hugs, and kisses you could ever want!!
and..............................

brownies for breakfast!!!

I'm thankful for the grandparents my children have in their lives. I want them to have all the special times and make all the special memories that they can with them! I will over look the brownies for breakfast because I know how very special it is! And I know they will not have that forever...and they will miss it tremendously!
Summer trips to the grandparents can be frugal....for the parents! :o) The memories made are priceless!

Happy weekend! Call your grandparents.....if you are fortunate enough to still have them in your life here on earth!
Do you have a favorite memory of a special time or place with any of your grandparents?

Blessings,

9 thoughts shared:

Melba said...

Becky this is so sweet! Just this morning I could have sworn I smelled brownies or cookies baking while I was out watering my garden. Now I wonder if it was some grandma/pa with his or her special grandchild!! I too miss my grandparents...the memories I have of them are almost liquid sometimes. How I would love to sit with them now, as an adult, and just soak up their wisdom and knowledge.

Misty said...

how incredibly blessed they are, in deed... My daughter is really lacking in that department. She has grandparents who are so caught up in themselves and what they want, that she is looked over always. It's so sad to me. Esp. since I had a great grandparent experience!

Christy said...

Grandparents are so wonderful! My son has 4 that love to spoil him! My last grandparent (my grandpa) passed away in Dec and now I find myself wishing I could go back to when I was a kid. All those memories are so fresh now. And we did all those things you mentioned in your post! I was fortunate to have them just a couple miles away and my brother and I spent a lot of time with them. Those are such special memories I hope my son will have of his grandparents some day.

LL said...

Grandparents are true blessings. All of my grandparents have passed away. I have so many wonderful memories of my Nannie (my mom's mom).She had the kindest most generous heart. I have a shoebox full of letters she wrote me and newspaper clippings of scriptures that she sent to me. She has been gone almost 10 years...but oh how I miss her.

Anonymous said...

You know the grandparent situation on my side but Joe's mom is the best. My favorite memory of my grandfather is him taking me to the Fort Worth Stockyards. There was a huge barrel of "rare jems" that he let us look through and choose two. Years later I still have these garnets...a jeweler friend of mine says he will make a setting for them but I know they are not worth the money but sure are worth the memories. My "Pop" used to talk "politics" with me. He wasn't exactly open minded about race or anything but he would treat me like an intelligent person instead of just a "girl". I was his favorite:)

CeCe

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

This is such a sweet post! I didn't have grandparents growing up, but I know how valuable it is for my children and I see these memories that my kiddos are already forming with their grandparents. It's so extremely special and everything you said is sooooo true!

alice said...

Ooooo, those brownies look good! Chocolate is on the list of no-no's for me right now as well.

What a blessing for your kiddo's!

MommaJen said...

I'm so thankful for my kids grandparents as well! great post! my granpas died before I was born, so all I had were grandmas - glad my kids have all 4 still plus some greats on Lance's side!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. As I type this, Clayton is with my in-laws and they are leaving Arkansas in the morning to go to San Antonio. They are doing the zoo, Seaworld, the Riverwalk, and whatever else they can stand to do before they run out of energy!

My grandparents on both sides were HUGE in my life growing up, we mostly lived out of state, but I spent every summer in Arkansas with my time divided between them. My Mamaw Clayton was the person who took me on my first Disney World trip at age 5. Both grandmothers were greatly influential on me spiritually (and I'm convinced it was their prayers that allowed me to survive my teenage years).

My last grandparent (Papaw Clayton) died in November and I really miss him. I haven't quite adjusted to living in a world with no grandparents (for me). So I'm so glad to watch Clayton enjoying his grandparents the way I did.

Thanks for some great thoughts on grandparents, and allowing me to take a moment to be thankful that my son (and soon to be baby boy #2) have such wonderful grandparents!

Karri