Tuesday, September 16, 2008

40 years........Wow!

Many of you were only a glimmer in the Lord's eyes in 1968! The year I was born!


Wow, if you look up history there was a lot going on that year.


Hippies, Vietnam War, Civil Rights movement, polyester clothes, and shag carpet...which I do remember!



Folks, that seems like SOOOOOO long ago!



September 15, 1968...................little Rebecca Ann born into this world.


My Dad called and said he still remembers my perfectly round, bald head!
My Mom said she still remembers how long it took me to get in to this world!



Honestly, I have struggled with this 'number'. It just seems so unreal. There has been something significant to me about leaving my 30's.
My sister asked if I'm "39.99" when I told her I wasn't having a birthday.



I like that! "Yes, I'm 39.99 and holding! There will be no penny added!"



I don't have anything earth shattering or profound to record here. I have 40 years of memories...OK, not that many b/c my memory is horrible and.....I'm quite sure I am not one that can go all the way back to my toddler years! Nor do I want to revisited some things in my 40 years!!!



The greatest thing I know........that has been proven all throughout my life is..............................
God loves me! He has my best interest at the center of all that He does in my life. He has proven Himself to be faithful and true, no matter what I have done! He has indeed blessed me, through some very difficult times and through some wonderful times, in my 40 years!



Monday began as usual. Me rising to wake Jman for school. He hugged me and wished me happy birthday. Soon, Agirl came stumbling into his room and climbed in the bed with us. They each wondered and worried about what would they get me for my birthday. I told them with all honesty, that THEY are all the gifts that I need! What a way to begin my 40th year, snuggling with my two angels, getting all kinds of hugs and kisses!



"Children are a gift from the Lord." Psalm 129:3



When I reminded them of this verse, Agirl said, "Hey! We really are presents!"



My very best friend, whom I'm fortunate to be married to; who knows me better than anyone (besides my Lord), and knows everything about me (besides my Lord), and stills loves me anyway (besides my Lord), took off work to spend the day with me!
I'm not one that has ever taken off work 'because it's my birthday' however, I figured this time was special, different.
Coach and I got both kids to school and headed for Starbucks. We spent an hour and a half having our quiet time, each reading our Bible studies, and talking about them. Also did some people watching, which included lots of laughing, and talking some more!
He graciously accompanied me to do some shopping and we had a nice, leisurely, quiet, lunch together.



I told him all about why turning 40 years old was bothering me and he listened........refusing to let me be glum or down about it. We talked a lot more, laughed a lot more and had a great time together! I love remembering old things between us that still make us laugh. And, some new things from this day that will make us laugh. Just between us! It was a WONDERFUL birth-day!! Thank you baby, I love you!!!



We picked up Agirl from Preschool, I dropped Coach off to go to football practice (can't miss that part of the day!!), and headed to get my little man.


I got to spend the crisp, cool afternoon doing this:

Watching my kids play together! Again, lots more smiles and many more laughs. God definitely placed a joy in my heart that I needed that day!
Brother 'falling' when sister 'stole' the ball!

Sometimes we all need a little help to make a slam dunk, don't we?!!


"You're so out!"

I had some precious friends that called me to wish me Happy Birthday! Thank you H! You NEVER forget me!! And you too Mel! I love ya'll! And miss you! Some special e-mail messages, comments here, and cards. All my family calling............thank you to my mom-in-law who totally sympathized with me.....she said 40 was hard on her too!
The Lord reminded me today within the group of women that I do Bible study with just how much I have to be thankful for in 40 years and how much more I can look forward to!
My heart really is swelling tonight as I think of all that I have in my life!
Blessings!!
post signature

13 thoughts shared:

Rebekah said...

Oh, Happy Birthday!!!!! It sounds like a sweet day and I love that your best friend took the day off to spend it with you -- what a beautiful friend you have! I know the big 4-0 must have been a hard one, but your words brim with thanksgiving and love for your kids and life. You encourage us all! May this be the best year you've ever had!!! :)

Jennifer said...

I hope I didn't get you too bad. We love you lots. You always have a smile, and you make me laugh. Someday, I will be that old too! :) (snickering inside) Just think. When I am 40, you will be almost 50! Now, there's something to think about. Happy Birthday!!

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday, my friend! What a lovely day you had...and those precious kiddos are the BEST gifts you could ever hope to have! :)

MommaJen said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day...simple and joyful...the best! your kids are so sweet!

Elizabeth said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! Many blessings for many more years!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful one.

Bri said...

Sounds like an awesome day! Happy Birthday!

LL said...

Happy Happy Birthday Becky!!! The Lord has certainly blessed you with a loving family and loving friends!

Tracey said...

Happy Birthday! Love 1968. I was born in February of 1968! Join the 40 club!

Nicole said...

Glad you had a great day! I think I will start planning a spa week for my 40th- that is also the year I will be sending my BABY to kinder. Commit me now.
BTW- my dad (who is 4 years older than my mom) was a junior in high school in 68. ;)

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday!!! I am glad you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you got my ecard. It has been crazy around here with Hurricane Ike and I have had no phone service since Monday. (Stinks). When I turn 40...in a few short days, I am burying myself in my covers and wake up the next day. That will be my birthday. Oh, wait, can't do that because my hubby is gone until Oct. 5...guess I will be spending chasing the "other" Ike:)

Love you!!!

CeCe

Nessa said...

Happy belated birthday!