Tuesday, April 22, 2008

".....when I grew in your tummy....."



During the Preschool years, ages 2 to 5, children become aware of pregnant women in their environment and ask questions about this.

This is normal and natural for all children. The answer to the question, "Did I grow in your tummy Mommy?" is very different for a child who has been adopted.

The other day, oddly enough while Agirl was on the potty of all times, she tells me, "When I was little, when I grew in your tummy!" I had never heard her mention this before or ask about it. I accept every opportunity that naturally comes from them as a time to tell my children about how they came to be a part of our family. (Both adoptions are open however, we have very little contact from either of their birth moms.)

I told her, "You didn't grow in my tummy, you grew in W's tummy and then I became your Mommy. W is your birth mom."

"Ms. W is my birth mom!?" (Then a brief discussion followed that our dear friend Ms. W is not that same W however, the only Ms. W that she knows and is around all the time! After looking at pictures of W, the birth mom, I think that's cleared up!!)

She looks at me sweetly, smiles, and says, "Oh Mommy............." and then proceeds to discuss that there are little bugs printed all over her underwear!! :o) This is all my little 3 yr. old needed..... this time. As I'm helping her off the stool, I hug her so tight, whisper "I love you so much!", and I feel a small, pin-prick piercing in my heart.

I would not want any other children than mine.......the ones I have..........the ones that God has gifted to me. The ones that He ordained to be mine since the beginning of time. While they did not come to me the way I had originally planned or desired, I am so grateful for the way in which they did come to me!

I would not be honest if I did not say that I wish I had been the one to have carried both of my children. When they ask me, "Did I grow in your tummy?", I long to say, "Yes! You did!" I remember some of these early conversations with Jman, around age 4 and 5. We would talk often about his having grown in J's tummy and how I came to get him. One night, he said, "I wish I had grown in your tummy Mama."

Tears filled my eyes and my heart sank a little. I told him, "Me too! But........I am so thankful that you grew in J's tummy! You would not be who you are if you hadn't! You would not look, act, think, or 'be' the way you are without having come from J! So, I'm so glad you did!" To which he said, "Me too, I love J.".

It is true, it takes more than biology to tie us to our children.....I have to be so thankful for where mine began......and where they came!

**I will get to documenting Agirl's story soon!

11 thoughts shared:

Anonymous said...

I am waiting for the day Isaiah asks....I have no pictures:( And I can't tell him anything nice about her. I am still searching for something.

CeCe

Hendrick Family said...

Thank you for writing this. I don't think there's anything wrong with longing for your children to have been in your tummy...but I'm so thankful for the picture your family paints of God who takes things broken in us and makes them beautiful and so very useful for His kingdom. Praise God for the Day family! You share the gospel everywhere you go. I'm so thankful for you.

Heather

MommaJen said...

awesome - love that the moments come during ordinary things. L hasn't gotten this far yet, but I'm waiting for the day to come!
thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written! Thanks for sharing. I feel the same way but, like you, wouldn't change anything either!
-Ann

Anonymous said...

My daughter has two natural children but wanted another but is not able to, so they are right in the middle of a Haitian adoption. I can't wait to send her this post, I think she'll be able to relate!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and God Bless! ♥

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this and for visiting me. I have another daughter. She was a baby when she came to us as a foster child,8 weeks old. We loved her and cared for her as our own until she was 4 and then she went back to her birth mother. 20 years later we were reunited, in 2005. Even though we were apart all those years, the love planted by God between us, is still there. She is as much my daughter as if I had birthed her. I mourn the years we missed but praise Him for the the blessing of her in our lives. She is married and has two little boys, my grandchildren. I did 2 posts on my blog earlier about it.
Mama Bear

B. said...

I am hoping to adopt, just at the very beginning og the process. Not sure what to do, where to go...you know... just getting it started. Thank you for your sweet story. I have often thought that I might tell my little one that Mommy's tummy is broken so a friend let me use her tummy and God put you in a friend's tummy for me.

Shelly said...

THat is awesome that you could adopt and God let you be the parents of your two children. May your life be filled with happy times and when your kids get older, I am sure they will be understanding and appreciate everything you and your husband have done for them. Nice blog!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Just came upon your blog. Beautiful post. Various members of my family have given up children for adoption (due to being too young at the time) and hearing an adoptive mom's side of the story is so precious to me.

I know that somewhere are a few little ones dear to me whose mommy's cherish them they way you do!

God bless.

Quiltermama said...

What a blessing for them that they have a mom with such a wonderful heart!!! It sounds like you have a remarkable connection with your children. You weren't joined together by biology--You were joined together by God. :-)

Now, God blessed you with those children, just as he blessed me with mine. It's just I had to go through a lot of vomiting & heavy weightlifting to meet mine. :o)

What a sweet story! I can't wait to hear the first time you met AngelA & Jman!

Becky said...

When ever this subject comes up I remember this adoption poem:

Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it
--- Fleur Conkling Heylinger

Just reading back through your journal to catch up. :-)