Sunday, I read an article in the local paper that really touched me. In the way that gets you to thinking............pondering about life............what's 'real', what's important.
The title, "Piling pieces of the American dream on the front lawn".
In these hard economic times, it was about those who are being evicted or foreclosed on for falling too far behind on rent or mortgage payments.
It told the specific story of a house, a family, being evicted in Maryland. A grand, majestic house of 6 bedrooms and 4 baths. A house in an area that rents for $3,000 to $3,500 a month.
Now, everything in that house being carried out onto the front lawn by All Seasons Eviction.
Fortunately, having never had this happen, I was completely naive about the idea that there are businesses in the business of moving people's stuff for landlord's, banks, mortgage companies, etc.
You receive the notice, you don't get out, we'll get you out! A man, down on his luck and nearly evicted himself, started this business of 'throwing' others out of their homes. I can't imagine......
The article did explain that these movers were not heartless. It was truly saddening for them, to come into these homes, imagine the lives that were lived there, and then in essence, "kick it all to the curb"!
What really struck me was, the writer kept using the word 'stuff' for the belongings of this family. All the 'stuff' that continued to come out and on to the lawn.
"New stuff. Shiny stuff. Stuff. Armfuls of randomness. End tables and a toaster. A chair and an ironing board. Contents of the cupboards being swept into black garbage bags. A Terra-cotta vase."
Stuff, stuff, stuff, and more stuff.
Can you imagine.....standing there.....watching all that you own..........piling out on the front lawn?
Stuff.
Lord, I don't want my life to be full of just stuff.
Truly, the older, and let's hope wiser, I've gotten, the Lord has taken many things from me.
Things like the desire for 'stuff'. Praise God!
I wouldn't say that I've ever been a real materialistic person however, I was always one to like to get new things!
Things are nice. Stuff can be good. We need a certain amount of stuff to live in this world. Essentials..........and then just stuff that we like.........that we want..........but we don't need. Life would not be as fun or as pleasurable without a certain amount of things that just bring fun, joy, enhance memory making, etc. And let's face it, make-up, hair dryers, and nail polish are not necessities for living however, you would not want to live with me, in this world, without them!
I am thankful that God has removed alot of wants from me.
A lot of that has come from necessity. Desiring to be a stay at home mom who makes a minimal part time income, you have to learn to not desire many wants! And I've been so fine with that! God gave me that longing and desire to have children and to raise them this way.
Honestly, for years, I struggled with wanting...........a bigger, nicer house, a nicer car, new this, and newer better that. STUFF!! Things!
You know that commandment about coveting...........yeh, me too!
Slowly, through the last few years, God has changed my heart concerning these 'things'.
He hasn't told me to give away ALL my earthly possessions and move to Tibet.........yet! But, He's getting me closer to that outlook on life!
This past year, the central 'theme' that God seemed to keep showing me was simply that, as His, I am not of this world. My desires are not to be things of this world. I'm only passing through and what I am here to do should not be temporal but eternal!
The greatest desire I have, to raise good, godly children, is not simply an act of this world but, one of fostering and growing eternal souls!!
My goals, daily........as God gives me yet another 'second' chance in a new year.........
*Live with less.............but for more. (This simple 'truth' that God spoke to me recently has profound meaning to me!)
*Live with what I LOVE.........and get rid of the rest. I believe the Lord is telling me that this involves many things....not just 'stuff'.
*Live looking up........not down. Am I trusting Him in every situation? Am I focusing on the 'goods' not the 'bads'?
*Truly work on becoming a woman after God's own heart. (I'm beginning the study of the book with that title.)
"Lord, daily renew me and remind me of what it is You have me here for. I want my 'stuff' to be about You! If others saw my earthly belongings moved out and piled onto my lawn, I want the things that they see to show that my heart's desires go beyond this world."










4 thoughts shared:
well said. I too desire less, but still have way more than I need. Hopefully, our children will learn this lesson early in life.
Fantastic post! We live very simply ourselves. "Stuff" has never been that important to me. But, I know we have more than we truly need. We were just discuccing the excessive gifts people seem to give to children for Christmas and how senseless it all is. We need to remember that with God we have all we need.
I LOVED this post, we just talked about how we always want more. HE wants a flat TV for above the fireplace when we have a perfectly nice tv. I am so ready to downsize in the stuff department and upsize the people/love/family/friends department!
((HUGS))
Awesome post, Becky. This is how I have been feeling too with all my stuff and clutter (and kids toys EVERYWHERE!) I am so ready to just have what we NEED and not all this extra. Just gotta get motivated and find time to get rid of it. Thanks for some inspiration!
Post a Comment