Friday, May 9, 2008

Saturday, May 10, 2008 is "Happy Birthmother's Day"

I'm not sure the history, but, I do know that the Saturday before Mother's Day is recognized and celebrated as Birthmother's Day. This post is in celebration of both of my children's first mothers. They loved them first. Held them first. Saw their first breaths. Heard their first cries. And then, gave me the gift of all the rest of 'the firsts'.........and the forevers.
They are both in my heart every day however, this weekend every year holds special meaning for me!


This is Agirl, with her special birthmother W. They are meeting for the first time since Agirl's birth. She was almost 3 months old. Look at W's beautiful red hair! I so prayed Agirl's hair would be that color!

This is Jman and his birthmother J. We've never seen her without this big smile. They are meeting for the first time since his birth. He was about 18 months old and we were at his birthgrandmother's home. He was very unsure at first but then he had so much fun playing with her. They have seen each other several times since then.
We don't see or hear from either one of them as much as we'd like to.
Happy Birthmother's Day J and W!

6 thoughts shared:

momofnolens said...

What a wonderful post! I also have a birthmother somewhere that I should wish a happy day to. And, have you noticed that both of your children's birthmothers look alot like you? That may be why we say that your children actually look like each other and like you.

Alison said...

How have I not known about this day?? My oldest will be 13 this month and I have never known about it!!! Thank you so much for lettin me know...we did send them Mother's day cards though!!!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Beautiful women and beautiful children.

It is my belief that loving/respecting my children's birthparents is just another way of loving/respecting my children.

A happy weekend to your family, Becky.

Leah said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! As a birth mother, it's wonderful to feel "recognized" for our role in adoption. It's adoptive mother's like you that make things a bit easier/positive for us and help educate the world on what adoption really is about. Thanks :-)

Also, I LOVE your header. Did you make it?

Happy Mother's Day!

CC said...

WOW!! I wish we could meet or have a picture or something of our kids' birthmothers. We celebrate them (and their foster mothers) on Mother's Day along with me. We light a 3 wicked candle and pray for each set of mothers (and fathers on the appropriate days).

Whitney said...

Just found you through the Money Saving Mom site...and we have several things in common! We just brought our daughter home through the miracle of adoption, I share a heavenly adoption, too, just getting into CVSing and DDP is the best! (It also seems that you are from the greatest state in the US, where I grew up.) Thanks for letting me know about BM day. We will never know our daughter's BM this side of heaven, but she has always been on my heart!