I had to go to the dentist today. Never a fun experience for anyone, I don't think.? I have a little dental anxiety and since becoming an adult, have not been faithful with check-ups and cleanings as I should be! I absolutely know the value of good dental care. My Dad was adamant that my sister and I receive the best dental care while we were growing up. Something that he did not have the luxury of. And sadly, I inherited his poor teeth! UGH! I should seriously beep in metal detectors! However, when you become self-sufficient and pay your own bills, it's easy to let some things 'slide'.
I paid for this about 3 years ago. Had to have a root canal. Not fun. Hated it. VERY expensive. With no dental insurance. Never want another one. No thank you.
So, this time, I jumped on the first sign of pain. I went to a different dentist this time. The last one did good work, seemed very nice. However, tried to sell me all kinds of things that, I probably didn't need and definitely couldn't afford!
I really liked this dentist. Got a good 'feel/vibe' about him as we made introductions and he shook my hand. He was very personable, talkative,and smiley. He talked with me as he looked over my paperwork, asked me what the problem was, took a look, and then had the assistant take an x-ray. I knew from the line of questioning as to the type of pain that he was trying to figure out just how bad the suspected decay was. He says something along the lines of, "Let's look and see if we're getting near the root." OH NO! Not going there. Not that kind of pain. Not that bad, for that long, or that intense. I said, "Well, let's pray right now because I don't want that!". I almost thought he might pray with me!?!
Well, that got me to thinking. Did you read the popular book series, "Left Behind"? It absolutely exploded on to the Christian reading scene all those years ago and Coach and I couldn't read them fast enough. After all the believers were raptured, there were those that believed and accepted Christ after that and had to live through the tribulation time. Those that were left behind and became followers eventually all knew each other. There came a time that each had a mark that only all the believers could see.
I was wondering as I sat in that dental chair today, "What would it be like if we had a mark now?" A way that all Christians could see and identify each other right away. Or, perhaps a feeling that is perceived in a touch or a handshake? I thought about this fictional story line, based on Biblical truths, and I wondered what it would be like to receive an identification symbol as soon as we ask Jesus into our hearts. I think it would be awesome to be able to find a doctor, a dentist, a plumber, a mechanic, etc. with the symbol........hopefully marking that "hey, I'm a believer and I am honest, trustworthy, and dependable! I will not lie, cheat, or steal from you. I will even pray with you before I operate on your body or your hot water heater."!!
How the Holy Spirit reminded me that we do receive one! The 'mark' is not invisibly on our foreheads, only apparent to other believers. It's the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, who's presence should change us in such a way that everyone can tell that we are a follower! Do our actions, words, and deeds set us apart enough, mark us differently enough, that we can easily be identified as His apart from the world? By believers and especially by non-believers? Those that we are entrusted to witness to and win for Him.
I believe that we have to pray for discernment. Some actions, words, and deeds can be deceiving. We might be surprised at who would, and would not, have the symbol. I pray that my mark, sign, symbol.....be obvious in all that I do!
Now, to the pedicure part..........don't even think of stealing this idea!! As I sat in that chair, I am also thinking, "This would be the perfect time and opportunity to get a pedicure!" How awesome would that be?! Get your dental work done and enjoy a relaxing pedi while you do it!! I think I have found the perfect entrepreneurial opportunity! Today was just the exam, x-ray, and plan. In 2 weeks, back I go for the work.........and a pedi?? May have to call and talk to them about that!
Gee! What in the world do you think of while you are sitting and lying in that chair?!!
Blessings,










11 thoughts shared:
a pedicure while getting dental work done would be B.A.D for me. when they start scrubbing the bottom of my feet i'd jump b/c it tickles and that poky thing or the drill would certainly go too far. yikes! makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. good idea though.
My thoughts...oh great...here he comes...what now...open wider??...(scrape, scrape)...(knuckles turning white from squeezing the arm rests)...oh sweet nector of life ("laughing gas")...woohoo...do what you need to...dizzy...turn "gas lower please, room is spinning...tears...what??...needs root canal...oh just pull it, I don't really that do I?? I have a lot of anxiety at the dentist...no matter who he is :)
I think there's a leaflet out there with Christian businesses who advertise together. I'll have to track mine down!
Thinking about dentists and replacing hot water heaters is going to give me nightmares tonight! Great "before bed reading" Thanks!!! :o)
You guys are no fun!! Erin, I'll have you be the first pedi patient!!
Quiltermama....the buisness guide would not be as much fun as a 'tingle' when you shake their hand or a gold cross embedded in the forehead! :o)
Shel-you are 2 funny! Thanks for the laugh! I've never had the gas..just the stick in the gums!
oh Becky, I'm so sorry about the dental work. I've been fortunate to never have any done, but N has serious dental anxiety and I hate that for him! Interesting idea with the pedi, but I'm like Erin, I'm too easily tickled!!
who did you end up seeing?
Now, you have me wondering what would happen if an unbeliever was in the middle of a root canal being performed by a believer dentist...then, RAPTURE!
Those drills have auto shut-off when dropped, right?!
:o)
*giggle* I just had this mental image of a dentist hitting a sensitive spot in my mouth and me kicking the pedicurist right in the teeth.
I also avoid the dentist. I realize I cannot continue to do so. Sigh. I am now pretending I did not read this post and that I am NOT convicted that I need to go to the dentist. :)
I have never had any major dental work done, no cavities but i did have 2 wisdom teeth removed and that was not a pleasant experiece.
I love your thoughts on the Left Behind series and the symbol or mark that Christians might have..I think you are right in that we do have one, it can be seen through our actions.
as for the pedicure, I am a bit ticklish on the footsies too...so that wouldn't work for me. But I need one BAD!
Again, I LOVE the dental-pedi. I have major dental anxiety, bring my Ipod, crank it so I don't have to hear the noises going on in my head.
I will say my best dental experience was the wisdom tooth removal, I need gas to get my teeth cleaned so they pulled out the really good drugs for the wisdom teeth. It was all good until the drugs wore off and I discovered my children missing. Luckily, Grandpa was smart enough to leave me several notes, on the phone, on all of the doors....
Post a Comment