Monday, July 14, 2008

Faith, Hope, and finally..... Love! (third installment of Agirl's story)

(Be sure to read the first two parts below before this post.)

Looking back, I knew that I knew that we should not have entered into the emotional connection with V, her family, and their baby. We never should have formulated an adoption plan with them. From our first match meeting, something didn't 'feel' right. Remember that birth dad felt so sure and V didn't. I knew that. I could sense that she was feeling pushed and pressured and not at all certain about all the things we talked about. Well, when it fell through, I knew that had been the Lord speaking to me, showing me all the red flags, and telling me that this was not our baby.

When you want something so badly, it's very easy to take it all upon yourself and just ask the Lord to wait on the sideline!! HA! The thing is, He often will be a silent spectator........for awhile......if that's what it takes for you to learn your lesson on your own.....the hard way!!

We knew we'd get over that hurt and that we had to move on. Based on the experience we'd had with our first adoption, we knew despite our getting in the way, God's will would be done and we'd receive the child that was meant to be ours! We did not at all feel that He was telling us not to have another child. So, our profile letter was placed back in the book, we stayed busy with life with a nearly 5 year old and we waited.

That call came. In December. On a Monday. The 6th to be exact.

I was at work, my part time preschool teaching job, in my classroom.

I was called to the Director's office and told that I had a phone call.

It was the SW from the agency, calling to tell us about a precious baby who had been born on December 1st. It was a girl. We had been chosen. There were 'issues' and concerns and she was in the NICU, how much longer was uncertain.

I screamed! I hollered! I cried! I jumped all around! Sheer joy and excitement!

I called Coach and let him know.............and the talking, researching, and praying would begin!

Later that afternoon, we would talk more with our Social Worker, get more of the details concerning this baby, it's birth family and history, prenatal exposure to substances and lack of care, etc. We would call our doctors for advice. Mostly, we would pray! Were we to agree to this placement, we weren't sure when we'd be able to go get her, when she'd be released to go home.

You see, just as with Jman, after having gone through a failed match, we were spared all of that! No match meetings. No adoption plans. No waiting that 48 hour period to see if she'll sign. We knew if we said "yes", we'd be traveling to get a baby!

However.....all was not quite that simple!

There would be numerous phone calls the next few days, back and forth between us and the agency. Things were not real simple, there was a lot going on. In the midst of it all, we had a big decision to make....whether or not to bring this baby home with us.....on a legal risk! The birth father had not signed yet! If we brought her home, we knew that he could chose not to sign and contest the placement and she could go back. (It wouldn't be easy for him to fight the adoption.....from....prison but, not impossible we were counseled!) If we didn't bring her home, she would go to a foster home until it was all worked out.

No way our hearts could let that happen. She had already spent all this time in the NICU. No consistent caregiver, no one voice and touch to learn and trust. What if he signed and she were ours, did we want to lose that time with her that we could have brought her home right away?!
She needed to begin bonding with us, her probable new parents, as soon as possible!!
It was more important for her to be with us as soon as possible than it was for us to guard our hearts!

Yes! We wanted this baby............how soon could we get her??!!!

A placement meeting was scheduled for Thursday, Dec. 9th, at 1:30 p.m. at the agency in Dallas. We made care arrangements for Jman with friends (he would begin the day with one and finish with another!) and we took off! Another anxious, exciting drive to go meet our baby!

We were especially excited because we were to meet her birth mother at the agency, spend some time with her, and then go to the hospital to meet Agirl.
To our disappointment, W was not there. She did not come. She just wasn't emotionally able to come meet with us that day however, she had brought some things by for us and the baby.
W had gathered a bag, filled with clothes, a doll, and some other things for her baby. She had written the most beautiful card to her, and to us, and that gave us the validation that we needed. That gave us her 'permission' to receive and to love this child as our very own! The entitlement to move on.
We would spend the next couple of hours at the hospital. Holding, feeding, and loving our new daughter! She was so beautiful! She was so tiny! At not even 6 lbs., she had some trouble eating at first and had been jaundice. This day, she was ready to go home! After being strapped in her car seat, she was monitored for one more hour as the nurse gave us all our instructions. Finally, we were getting in the car and making the long, anxious, exciting trip back home to introduce Jman to his new sister!!

It's hard to describe how difficult the next four days would be. Those four days felt like four years! It would be that Monday before two Social Workers from the agency would make the long drive to meet with Agirl's birth father. No one knew what to expect. Would he sign in favor of her placement? Would he refuse? Would the agency be forced to place our new baby in foster care while a battle for her best could ensue?

This short period of time became such a test of our faith. And showed us so much about all the people that surrounded us, that loved us, and loved this new life in our home! We had prayer warriors like we'd never known praying for Agirl's precious little life and praying that her birth father would unselfishly, in love, do what was best for her! I personally know of one lady who was on her knees, in the church prayer room, that Monday at 11:00 during the meeting, praying without ceasing!! (We love you CeCe!!) And there were so many of you........thank you!!!

Finally, that afternoon, the call came from Elizabeth the SW. She said that Agirl's birth father was very concerned about her. He showed a genuine love for her, wanted to know if she was safe, loved, and in the best place. He cried. He loved her and knew that he could not have her. He signed the relinquishment papers and finally..........since bringing her home........we could breath and rest in assured peace that she was our forever daughter! Praise God!
Happy belated Adoption Day Agirl!! July 11th!!! Here we are, waiting outside the judge's courtroom. The judge got delayed and we waited for well over an hour! You slept off and on during that time. This was such a special day. Not only would you take our name and legally be ours forever, we would share this day with four other families from our agency! We all got to witness each other's blessings and miracles coming to fruition! It was a wonderful time!! (The pictures of the pictures are not good here!)

Swearing in.......we'll always and forever love, protect, and provide for you!














Agirl, your judge was so different than brother's. She took you right away and you sat on the bench with her the whole time. She let you explore all over the place! She had Jman stand there too so that he could help over see everything! He was so very excited!!



We were the first ones! Here we are..........minus Dad taking the picture.....our forever family watching all of our friends have their turn!


You were very hungry when it was all over! :o)
We wouldn't change anything about how either of our children came to us! They are so well worth all the heartache and trial it took to get them here!
Adoption is God's miracle gift to us in the form of our children!


16 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

Becky, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today...funny, I found your blog last week and have been reading and catching up with you! Your stories are great, and give me such great things to look forward to. I don't know what I would do without my blogland friends and all the support and stories shared out there. You're on my list now and I can't wait to read more!

I love the pics of your daughter's court day, how exciting!

MommaJen said...

Becky, I'm in tears. Even though I know the story and have walked it myself, it still moves me.

Christy said...

She has such a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bri said...

You always bring tears to my eyes, but also faith, excitement and hope! Thanks for sharing, as always.

Anonymous said...

Becky
I loved reading both stories. I know both your children are special gifts. I remember sweet baby girl so tiny and now a young lady going to preschool in the fall. I remember meeting your cutie son, he will break hearts in the near future.

Thanks for sharing the stories.

Annette

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comment today and thanks for sharing your story. I still think adoption is way more miraculous that giving birth!!!

Anonymous said...

AWWW!! And yes, I think I still proudly wear the carpet burns on my knees from praying SOOO hard! I didn't have a key to the prayer room so actually A got prayed for in the Bridal room:) Hee Hee.

I still say that A was the smallest angel I have ever seen. Isn't it a big laugh when people TRY to warn you NOT to give your entire heart away until it is "safe". Ha! Like Sherry says....all of our children are ours for a season...may be two hours, two minutes, fifty years etc. But they are ultimately God's children. When I think about Vivianna (the one we had for just 14 hours), I am so thankful I loved on her for that season. Thankful for my Ike too!!
CeCe

Jackie said...

Absolutely beautiful. What a beautiful child this girl of yours is! She's truly a blessing. Loved reading this.

Rebekah said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing your story again for those of us that hadn't heard it! What a beautiful family you have!

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It just brings tears to my eyes with all that you and your husband had to go through.

What a blessing she is and that you have her in yall's life!

Melba said...

OK you've done it this time...I'm in tears! This is such a wonderful story, and I love so much how you talk about your acceptance of all the difficulties you had to go through to get to your sweet girl. You are a true inspiration to me as we wait, thank you so much for sharing your story!!

Melba

Quiltermama said...

So sweet! What a beautiful baby (and now beautiful girl)! What a God-thing adoption is for everyone involved--a true miracle!!!

Deb said...

We had a similar legal risk with our birthfather. I remember asking Dave if he was willing to bring her home with the risk and when he said yes he said that if he decided he wanted her then we would just pack all her things and send them with her. The love that he expressed in that statement was overwhelming.
I knew it all worked out obviously but the story as it unfolds is so nice to hear.

Alison said...

Oh Becky, wonderful series of posts. It seems our adoptions were similar in a number of ways. Isn't it nice to write about it and experience it all over again??

Nessa said...

Becky, thanks for sharing this story. Your blog truly touches my heart. I am adding you to my blog roll.

Laura Brittain said...

What a blessed family you are! Thank you for blessing us with part of your special God story. Who but God? Adoption is such a special picture of our adoption into God's family. How blessed we are to have such a tangible picture!