Sunday, July 6, 2008

A hard time......(updated at the bottom!)

My little Jman has been on my mind all day.
We got 'the' call last night.
The call, at 9:45 p.m., saying, "he's having a hard time adjusting".
He was not participating. He started crying.
Sweet Mrs. Tara had removed him from the large crowd, late night, LOUD group time.
He was tired, over stimulated, hungry, and just not doing well.

I talked to him.
He said, "I'm just tired. I've had some fun." Between sobs.....
Dad talked to him.
He said, "I'm not having any fun!"
I cried.
Should Dad go get him?
At least he's 10 minutes away although, we'd have driven across the state if he'd needed to come home!
We all decided we'd see if things got better, once they got to the dorm room, it was quiet, he could eat a snack, and go to bed!

Awesome Mr. Gary called at 10:15 p.m.
Jman has calmed down.
He is feeling better and excited to be in the same room with best buddy Nman.
Mr. Gary is literally right across the hall. Will sleep with his door open and showed Jman exactly where and how to find him if he needed him in the night.

I literally cried myself to sleep, worried about my first baby.
At this point, Coach Dad wants to go get him just so Mama will not be upset!

Mrs. Brittany called this morning, 7:45 a.m.
Jman had a good night!
He slept well, except for complaining he got cold. The blanket I sent is probably too small!
He was eating a good breakfast. They had lots of fun activities planned for the day.

Went to church this morning.
Set the phone to vibrate and told Coach to keep it in his pocket at all times!
Asked for prayer in Sunday School class, for all campers and leaders, and especially for my sweet little man.
No one called!
Made it through lunch and Sunday afternoon naps, no one called!

Called to check about 4:20 p.m.
He has had a FANTASTIC day!
They went swimming.
Had other fun stuff coming up. Group study time and worship.

He still has the night to go!
But now he knows what to expect. Now, he should be prepared.
Now, he should feel comfortable with those other parents who are there to care for him.

Thank you God for the dear people and friends who went along to chaperon this trip. Thank you Lord that they are loving and serving my baby!

Praying now that he has a good night tonight and another awesome day tomorrow! Lord, I want him to have a wonderful church camp experience so that he will want to go for many years!

Update Monday a.m.:

No calls last night! No news is terrific news!
Nman's mom called, about 9:40 p.m.
We froze! Just knew it was them!
She was calling to let us know that there was a picture on the camp website of Jman on stage!

He went on stage last night!
With our Children's Ministry Director and some guys from the group!
We were so stinkin' excited! He felt comfortable enough to go on stage!
Such a change from night #1!!!

Here's my little man! Third from your left, looking up at something??!!
So thankful he is comfortable now and having a good time!
Can't wait to go get him tomorrow! Four days was just the right amount of time for this First Time Camp Mama!!
Will have to post his thoughts on things when he gets back!


Blessings,

13 thoughts shared:

Quiltermama said...

I'm thinking this is the camping experience YOU'LL always remember for sure! :-)

It's great to hear that everything turned out ok! I bet he's going to have fun adventures that he can enjoy looking back on for a lifetime! I still fondly remember going to a camp at Baylor--wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

I'm not quite ready for that stage yet with my little guy...It's inevitable, but a little scary to be honest. I sure hope it gets easier as the years go on! I have three to send someday! :-)

Susan said...

I know that must break your heart! I can realate to his experience. That is how I felt when I went to camp!

He will make it through it with great stories and meomories to share!

I will keep him and you in my prayers.

Donuts R Evil said...

Glad you get to walk through this before me! I will need advice and a shoulder to cry on when its Puddin's turn in 2 short years! ;(
Glad Jman is doing better! Love you guys!

Melba said...

You are so sweet with how much you clearly love your babies!! I remember being homesick for my parents, even when we were visiting my grandparents during the summer. He'll make it through and he'll have great memories from this--his first real camp experience. I will be thinking about all of you and eager to hear how his second night went.

Melba

Deb said...

Camp can be tough. I'm he that he seems to be enjoying it now. He will most likely have a blast all week and have stories to share when he comes home.

Anonymous said...

Glad you did not go get him. It only makes it harder the next time. Night time is always the hardest!!!

Love!!

CeCe

brickmomma said...

Dang - I am SO emotional....I teared up reading this!

Glad you guys made it thru......I always LOVED camp. I was sad to ocme home!

alice said...

Oh, Becky! I know that was breaking your heart! I'm afraid I would not have been as strong as you and we would have been driving to campus for a late night pick up! I'm so glad he is hanging in there and having a great time. He couldn't have been in better hands with Mr. Gary right across the hall... What fun stories he'll have!!!

MommaJen said...

glad he started having fun! Not looking forward to those days yet!!! He'll have lots of great stories to tell though!

Bri said...

Oh, I got all teary-eyed! My sister works at a summer camp for Girl Scouts and deals with homesickness every day! Good for him (and you!) for sticking it out! My husband would have wanted to go pick him to make me feel better too! I love them masculine need to "fix" things!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, I just love meeting other moms! Autism used to scare me. I watched my friends with children on the spectrum and told myself that there is NO WAY I would ever have the strength or know-how to raise a special-needs child. It's truly amazing how strong and smart you really are when God says it's your turn to step up to the plate. Now, I can't remember our life without autism. I wouldn't WANT our life without autism. I want my son to recover, yes... but I'm so grateful that God has given our family this special ability to appreciate the small things in HIS world. Before Zack, I don't think I ever stopped to really SEE anything.

As for Christian camp... I went several years as a child and I LOVED it!! I remember my first few days being a little scary too, but some of my best childhood memories were made there. Don't worry too much... he is going to have some fantastic stories to share when he gets home!

LL said...

so happy to hear that he is taking part in camp and seems to be more comfortable. He will have an awesome experience and such wonderful memories.

Jackie said...

Oh, Becky. I'm so sorry his first night was rough, but good for you for sticking out until the next morning to see if he would calm down. Sounds like it will be a great experience for him overall! When does he come back?